Friday, December 25, 2009

YMD and Friends Film Bonanza part 5



We're going to start the holiday off with a list written by half of the YMD Academy's esteemed Acting Branch, Sarah Drescher. When Sarah's not acting, she teaches Yoga. When Sarah's not teaching Yoga, she's being affectionate towards/torturing my roommate's cat and and sending people locks of her hair (could be worth something one day). Merry Christmas, friends.


10. Sin City dir. Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez (2005)
This movie was like something out of a comic book or something. A comic book printed in black and white. RIP Brit.


9. I heart Huckabees dir. David O. Russell (2004)
Jude Law is unconsciously good at acting. Watch this scene pictured above in slow motion, his face is amazing as he falls to the floor. Made me wanna act that moment did. Yoda not I am. 


8.  Kill Bill (parts 1 and 2) dir. Quentin Tarantino (2003, 2004)
For this list I mostly picked movies I would want to be in. If I had a time machine, I’d go back to the early 90’s, knock Uma Thurman out let Quentin Tarantino touch, lick, mount, film my feet and subsequently build a friendship that would lead to this script and my being cast as THE BRIDE. Also I’d take her career trajectory from Pulp Fiction on. Thanks science. 


7. Wendy and Lucy dir. Kelly Reichardt (2008)
Michelle Williams is pretty underrated as an actor. I don’t know if this deserves to be on a TOP 10 of the decade, BUT I really fucking loved this movie and if this were a dog movie countdown it’d be number one. RIP George.

6. American Psycho dir. Mary Harron (2000)
Great Soundtrack. Serial Killer. Actor who can sweat on cue. One of my fave movies of all time. “Don’t just stare at it...”

5. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days (4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile) dir. Cristian Mungiu (2008)
Not a Valentines Day movie by any means, but if you’re dating a real a-hole and are looking to stretch a break-up to a record 4 months than by all means see drag your man to the theatre and split a split for desert. The dinner table scene where Otilia sits between various members of her boyfriend’s family while her good friend is going through a self induced illegal abortion is so well directed filmed and acted MUAH. I am so articulate wow.

4. Ratatouille dir. Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava (2007)
People and animals should just let each other follow their dreams.

3. District 9 dir. Neil Blonkamp (2009)
Dope.

2. The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) dir. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (2006)
Such a  good movie. Again folks, it’s the acting I’m usually after but I’m pretty sure all the other little people like the DP and Sound guys and whatnot did a nice job too. When you live behind the iron curtain and it's your job to eavesdrop and report people who collaborate to make works of art that could incite riots, it might be nice for once to cut those people some slack and see where things go from there. What could possibly go wrong?

1. Bad Lieutenant; Port of Call New Orleans dir. Werner Herzog (2009)
OMG Conor's dad was totally right. Nic Cage is the best actor of this or any generation. See this movie. He is breathtaking. Such a fun ride.

No comments: