Monday, December 28, 2009

YMD and Friends Film Bonanza part 20


Here's a list from Kate Murphy, one of several former Editors-in-Chief of Fordham University's the paper to send in a list. I saw Kate get her head slammed into a post at Glasslands once, but it doesn't seem to have affected her in the long run. Bombs away!


10. High Fidelity dir. Stephen Frears (2000)
John Cusack + pre-Nacho Libre Jack Black = duh. But seriously, Jack Black gives his best performance on this side of the Tenacious D TV series, and John Cusack plays a depressing, cynical dick like no one else. 

9. Summer Hours (L'heure d'été) dir. Olivier Assayas (2009)
Like others on my list, this movie looks at the power of memories and it’s ultimately a painfully realistic take on life after the death of a loved one.

8. O Brother Where Art Thou dir Joel Coen (2000)
This is my favorite Clooney movie ever (Batman & Robin is a close second, obvi) and by far my favorite film soundtrack of the decade. 

7. Caché dir. Michael Haneke (2005)
Unsettling from start to finish. And after finish. Impossible to watch this and not leave the experience with a knot in your stomach.

6. Ratatouille dir. Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava (2007)
So damn cute. I loved all of the Pixar movies of this decade, but this one has got to be my favorite.

5. Punch Drunk Love dir. Paul Thomas Anderson (2002)
This movie has everything from phone sex (sort of) to Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but what really makes me love it is how, despite how awkward, uncomfortable, and unlikely this love story is, it is one of the most romantic movies ever. The scene in which “He Needs Me” plays (that song from Robert Altman’s Popeye) is so beautiful and strange, just like this movie. PTA is a God.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind dir. Michel Gondry (2004)
I cry in literally every movie that could ever warrant tears, so I won’t even try to write a description of this movie.

3. Amelie (Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain) dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2001)
The only movie of the decade that was cuter than Ratatouille?! I’m a sucker for anything Audrey Tautou, but she’s really at her best here.

2. The Royal Tenenbaums dir. Wes Anderson (2001)
Maybe it’s because this family actually seemed half as strange as my family… maybe it’s because my younger brother bought an Adidas track suit when he first saw this and instead of looking like Ben Stiller he looked like a guido… maybe it’s because of that scene when Gwyneth Paltrow gets off the bus to see Luke Wilson and “These Days” by Nico plays… or maybe it’s just my undying love for Bill Murray, but boy do I love this movie.

1. No Country for Old Men dir. Joel and Ethan Coen (2007)



Well, folks, just when I think we're at the end of this thing people won't stop sending me lists, and to that I say yaaaay! So if you have one that you would like to send in before midnight tonight I'll be taking them happily. (At least) Three more to be posted before it's over.

2 comments:

Peter Mullin said...

and what's wrong with nacho libre jack black I ponder

Kate Murphy said...

have you tried to watch it sober, mullin?