Saturday, December 26, 2009

YMD and Friends Film Bonanza part 11


I'm going to meet up with my friend Marty Sweeney (whose old comics, some of which are quite funny, you can read here), so I might as well post his list now, I think. Marty is by leaps and bounds the person I've argued about movies with most in my life. He submitted this list the other night via GChat between 4:30 and 5 am, so if it gets too intense for you just read it as if he's drunkenly yelling directly at me. OK den.


10. Pixar's Lineup
Need I explain? These count as one movie. If they don't, fuck you, they do. If you think they shouldn't be here, fuck you, they do.

9. Punch Drunk Love dir. Paul Thomas Anderson (2002)
I saw this in high school in a dark theater with a bunch of love-sick single men. It gave me hope. It made me wish for more.

8. Star Trek dir. JJ Abrams (2009)
I don't think I was this much of a child when I was a kid.

7. Shaun of the Dead dir. Edgar Wright (2004)
I went from dying laughing to dying crying to wishing I was married with kids to wishing I had made sure she was on the pill. This movie knows emotion and knows what to do with it.

6. There Will Be Blood dir. Paul Thomas Anderson (2007)
Citizen Kane was better.

5. A Serious Man dir. Joel and Ethan Coen
Coen Brothers: Stop making conceptual art and go back to making Raising Arizona. You'll make some money.

4. Devil's Backbone (El espinazo del diablo) (And, I guess, Pan's L) dir. Guillermo del Toro (2001 and, I guess, 2006)
Hellboy was a good comic, but it was better as a movie about Facism without Hellboy and more del Toro.

3. Children of Men dir. Alfonso Cuarón (2006)
HA! Bet you thought this was gonna be no. 1, didn't you?! Well, it fucking isn't, chump. It's amazing and I was like crying when I left, but you know what, Bob Dylan refs push it out of place.

JK The next movie is just better. More real or somthing. You want me to argue this? I can. I will. Let me sober and then research for a semester.

2. American Splendor
Have you seen this movie? Really? Wait, seriously, you saw it? Really? Oh, man, did you like it? Right?! I know! When they pour that orange soda?! And it's like, holy shit, I have never seen orange soda before! Ever!

Really though guys, way to make like the best doc ever by filming actors.

1. The Room dir. Tommy Wiseau (2003)
The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room. The Room

PS HA! DARK KNIGHT! I may have been scared of you in theater, but after watching you like 7 times, you make no sense! Take that Chris Nolan! Memento?! HA! Try making PDL and TWBB! Fucker.

No comments: