Monday, December 28, 2009

YMD and Friends Film Bonanza part 21


Molly sent us a list at the last minute, which obviously made us very happy. The lone representative of our Schoolteacher voting block, Molly also holds the world record for most soul-crushing glare delivered in a basement print shop. But enough kidding around, let's go to the moo-vies!

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind dir. Michel Gondry (2004)
Besides being an amazing concept, and a beautifully shot film, with superb acting, I actually appreciate the portrayal of relationships in this film more than anything else. Relationships in movies are so one-dimensional sometimes I just can’t stand it. Call me crazy but my relationships have been more involved than someone just showing up in the rain after some sort of misunderstanding and things working out. Relationships are good and bad, they are painful, complex and oftentimes difficult.  And when they end part of you wants to pretend they never happened. Capturing that feeling is difficult and I never seen it done on film with quite so much honesty.  

2. City of God (Cidade de deus) dir. Fernando Meirelles, Katia Lund (2002)
The only movie I’ve ever gone to see in a theater alone, and still one of my favorites. The style and substance of this movie combine for an amazingly engrossing film. If I knew more movie terms I’d throw some stuff out like the cinematography was ahead of its time or something, but all I know is that it was exciting, grizzly and heartbreaking and I got completely lost in it. 

3. Amelie (Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain) dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2001)
It’s French! And about love! With whimsical insights about life! (Sigh) 

4. Wet Hot American Summer dir. David Wain (2001)
For awhile liking this movie was a prerequisite to being in our group of friends. The humor is so crude and silly, and so not for everyone that it’s a good way to weed out those people who cannot appreciate a good dick joke ergo the people with whom I do not want to be friends. 

5.  Lost in Translation dir. Sofia Coppola (2003)
So half this movie is basically just beautiful shots of Tokyo and Scarlett Johansen looking contemplative all set to wonderful music, which might have been enough for me. But then throw Bill Murray in to the mix and an innocent love story and that’s pretty much all I need. It’s a seemingly simple movie concept done with subtlety and style to spare.  

No comments: