Sunday, December 13, 2009

Til you just can't boogie no more


77. A Taste of Honey - "Boogie Oogie Oogie" (Capitol Records, 1978)

We were at 169 Bar for the homie Charles' birthday last night (making that two Saturdays in a row and, now that I look at this scarcely written about week, 2 our of the last 3 blog posts). While last Saturday was a sitting at the bar affair, last night was full-on dancefloor action (and, as a result, possibly the most fun I've ever had at a going out type birthday party). Whoever the DJ was at 169, dude is erratic as hell (he hilariously cleared the floor with "Break Stuff") but often wonderful. My favorite moment last night was when he dropped "Boogie Oogie Oogie" and brought the place down.

The bass line could be the best part of this song, it's attention grabbing and killer, but for me the real work here is done by the chord change into the chorus, an awesome right turn that orders us to "get on up" and, in my case, generally do something with my shoulders.

No comments: