Thursday, August 27, 2009

I feel fine and I feel good


117. New Order - "Bizarre Love Triangle" (Factory Records, 1986)

When I was a sophomore in college I started going out in downtown NYC and there was a lot of folks playing 80s indie and post-punk, 00s indie, and later 00s blog-house and the like. And I have a lot of fond memories of those nights, but eventually I got bored to hell of the music ("We Are Your Friends" and me thinking "Really? You fuckers?"). But towards the end there, when we still got to Trash at Rififi at like 2 in the morning already nearly blacked out and waiting for 2-for-1s at 3, I don't ever remember being pissed about New Order coming on, even as I was lamenting the fact that they had been playing the exact same songs for years and years on end. In most of my positive memories of dancing on various stages and chugging various drinks whiskey drinks, this is still the soundtrack.

Plus, man, Bernie Sumner is one of the worst lyricists of all time ever, to the point that it's hard not to view the awkwardness and nonsense as a gift:
But there's no sense in telling me
the wisdom of the fool won't set you free
But that's the way it goes
and it's what nobody knows
well every day my confusion grows
Mine too, obviously.

(the 6:39 version on the 12" is preferable as it has a sweet vocoder bit and more beats, but couldn't find a YouTube, so this'll do for now)

No comments: