Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Curious Case of Devin´s Shirt

To answer the question regarding me getting peed on: one of the orphans wetting herself while I was holding her yesterday morning, which was fine. Then we took her to Church where as luck would have it, she wound up on my lap where she wet herself again. I was wearing khakis. So for the rest of the mass, it really looked like I had just wet my pants. Super.

Today I went to the dump for the first time. I don´t really know what to say about it. Within the ground of the dump is a village with a school and medical center and even what appeared to be a bodega. We spent a good amount of time today around the medical center. There were points where I had a lot of fun (playing soccer with some kids outside of the center) and there were times where I feared for my own personal safety.

No matter how much you try to prepare yourself, it´s still difficult to see some of the things that go on there. However, overall, it was a great experience. Hopefully on Thursday I will be able to head back into the walls of the dump and be able to walk around the area and see more of it.

No comments: