Friday, December 12, 2008

What am I gonna do?


248. Chic - "I Want Your Love" (Atlantic, 1978)

Wednesday night, Edgar, Sarah, and I went to the last Special Disco Version party of the year at Santos Party House. SDV has easily become my favorite regular party in NYC over the last few months, not that I go to that many regular parties at this point. If it was on a weekend it would be impossible to get in. As it is, it was packed as hell for Liquid Liquid the other week, and it was more comfortable but still with a nice crowd this Wednesday when Horsemeat Disco from London were the guests. James Murphy was playing when we walked in and, as usual, was excellent. The peak of the night for me, however, was when one of the Horsemeat guys played this Chic classic.

"I Want Your Love" is an embarrassment of riches, really. The vocal hook is easily one of the best hooks to sing along with on a dance floor. The vocals are silk. The rhythm section is so tight and sturdy you could prolly build a club on top of it. Then that horn riff comes in after three and a half minutes and just opens up the track completely. Best served at about 2 am, depending on what time your dancefloor is ready to peak, of course.

No comments: