Wednesday, December 31, 2008

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)


244. the Beach Boys - "God Only Knows (Aeroplane Edit)" (2008, bootleg)

Who knows if this ever gets released, prolly not, but when I first saw this Youtube I listened to it like 5 times in a row, and then when someone on ILM uploaded an mp3 ripped from a podcast, I listened to that like 5 times in a row. If I heard this out I don't know what I would do.

I haven't yet figured out what it is about the beat that, for me, largely tones down the creepy undertones of the original ("I'll make you so sure about it", etc.). Maybe it's because the Aeroplane version, even when I'm listening to it alone, makes me think of one day singing along to it with a bunch of people in the middle of a dance floor (click), which draws out the euphoria and buries the desperation. I dunno. I have to get dressed for New Year's and start drinking. Maybe we'll think more about this later. For now, happy dancefloor and open bar wishes from all of us here at YMD. See ya in the New Year (when maybe I'll do a slight redesign to make it easier on deez newfangled wide YouTube videos).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome choice