Monday, June 15, 2009

Two times



143. the Fugees - "Killing Me Softly" (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1996)

If there's an idea I believe in wholeheartedly (and there might or might not be), it's context. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Maciej, that's stupid, how could one not believe in context, what would that even mean?" Yeah, I'm kind of being a dummy, let me start over.

It's not that I didn't like this song before this weekend, but I definitely ranked it no higher than third on any given list of Fugees singles. And then Friday I was in the basement of the Annex of all places and in between passing out flyers I sat down to have a quick beer and this jam came on and, in the red-lighted basement with a bunch of ladies and fellas singing it out loud. And suddenly there it was and the minimalism and Lauryn's voice made more sense than ever before.

So I guess what I mean is that I believe very strongly in the transformative power of an unexpected context on an already familiar piece of art. Kthxbye.

No comments: