Wednesday, June 3, 2009

People in motion



146. Scott McKenzie - "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers In Your Hair)" (CBS, 1967)

While retrospective idealization of the 60s as a golden age of culture falls somewhere between mosquito bites and Bennigan's (which apparently closed?) on my list of favorite things, I can still enjoy this silly little commercial for Monterrey Pop which seems to truly believe its own generation's hype so much that it even briefly throws in some LOL-sitar. All joshing aside, this John Phillips-penned number gets me every time I hear it. It starts with the main hook right away and keeps it moving correct. My favorite part is the chorus that comes in right after the bridge (round 1'47). John Phillips' guitar and Joe Osborn's bass on that one make a fairly repetitive chorus into something almost transcendent.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Agreed. For a while, I've felt that this melody and rhythm deserved less topical lyrics. Very pretty.