Friday, July 25, 2008

I Tried To Believe. Real Hard.

But I can't, man. It's too hard. I may never believe in anything again. I'm even having a hard time remembering a time when I believed. I started to forget if The X-Files was ever good. 27% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes? Come on, Chris Carter. You led an army of nerds for like, nine years. You can't spend some time making a good follow up to years of nothing? No Mulder, no Scully, no Cigarette Smoking Man, no black otherworldly parasites, not even any Robert Patrick? I only looked at RT today, and was sorely disappointed. Depressed, even.

The Chicago Tribune: "The story is both a muddle and a drag..."

The New York Times: "Baggy, draggy, oddly timed and strangely off the mark..."

But then, I started to follow Fox's advice (listen, I am a gigantic nerd in this respect, so back off before you hate) and I looked a little bit closer. Manhola Dargis didn't like the film because she preferred the first one. OK Dargis, I know longer trust anything you have to say. A Washington Post review listed on RT as rotten said the film is "taut and well acted." Their complaints were that it was "too grown up" and lacks the show's "elaborately constructed conspiracy theories." OK, that's not the point of this movie, right? There wasn't a conspiracy theory in that episode about the West Virginian murderous inbred rednecks, and that was the BEST EPISODE EVER.



OK fine, it probably sucks. But all the negative reviews seem to say is that the movie isn't fun for people who weren't serious fans of the TV series. So the fuck what? Who cares about those people. I don't want to associate with them, nor do I care if they can follow the plot of I Want To Believe.

I think what I'm trying to say is that...I'm going to like this movie. Probably a lot. Please don't judge me, or at least have the decency to do it behind my back. God, I'm such a nerd.

No comments: