Wednesday, July 23, 2008

And she knows I've used that line before

(I promise this thing won't make up the whole of our content, but I'm having fun with it now, so lemme go, the 2 1/2 of you who are reading this)


299. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Good Good Day" (b-side to "As I Sat Sadly By Her Side" single, Mute Records, 2001)

This b-side is my favorite song in Nick Cave's whole ouvre (Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, Grinderman, whatevs), and our studies (especially the animal testing portion), seem to prove me right. I have no clue how I first obtained it, God knows I'm not exactly a Cave completist. Anyways, it's a hard charging pop number, incredibly hopeful and buoyant, and not just compared to the usual Cave darkness.

Plus, there's "See her breasts how they rise and fall (it's a good good day today)/and she knows I've used that line before (it's a good good day today)," which is exactly the kind of intertextual shit I fall for every time. A little research sez "her breasts rise and fall" is from the old Bad Seeds song "Hard on For Love," but more important than the specific reference, to me, is the kind of sly admission. And I would probably love this song even if its lyrics were completely retarded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

INTERTEXTUALITY!!!!!