Monday, January 19, 2009



238. The Pretenders - "Don't Get Me Wrong" (Sire Records, 1986)

I don't remember how old I was when I fell in love with Emma Peel from the 1960s British spy series The Avengers, but I was young. Like...six or seven young. There are many reasons. Played with a delicate but simultaneously overwhelming sexuality, Diana Rigg played arguably the best ass kicking heroine of all time. The producers of the show created the character based on a word association game: Sex Appeal, Man Appeal, M. Appeal...Emma Peel. Get it?



I know, right? Good god. Anyways, the show really shaped my childhood, and if I were to make an Oprah-esque list of my favorite things, it would top it every single time. So imagine my delight when my best friend's mother, a fellow Peel enthusiast, informed me that the British rock band The Pretenders had based one of their videos around my favorite TV show of all time. I don't know if it was the jumpsuit, the throwback to The Avengers or the sweet, poppy tune, but this song, and its video are completely reminiscent to me of innocent crushes, and ass kicking Brits. Maybe it's just me. Click here for a reference point, if you didn't understand anything I just said. But enjoy the video below.

No comments: