Monday, August 11, 2008

Make believe you never see the tears I cry


291. Isaac Hayes - "Walk on By" (from Hot Buttered Soul LP, Stax, 1969)
292. Sam & Dave - "Hold On, I'm Coming" (Stax, 1966)


Even if the album it came from wasn't named Hot Buttered Soul, I'm not sure I could come up with any other description of what Isaac does to the track (it's a Bacharach penned Dionne Warwick song) than melting. It's slooooow, funky, and gorgeous, and for some reason sounds distinctly urban to me. Like hot pavement.

Back when Isaac Hayes was writing songs for various Stax artists with David Porter, they penned this ultra super classic Sam & Dave song, which has the exact opposite effect on me than "Walk on By" does. The latter is down, the former is up, there's no getting around it, but both are absolutely classic. The horn riff in "Hold On, I'm Coming" is on the level of Hamlet's soliloquy.

Rest in peace, Chef.



No comments: