Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'ma tell you like this, verbatim


281. Cassie - "Official Girl (ft. Lil' Wayne)" (Bad Boy Records, 2008)

So, Poptimists linked to the new video for Cassie's "Official Girl" today. The single is out on iTunes, but there's no official word on the album coming out anytime soon, which is a shame, cuz the songs that have leaked are sooooo amazing. Please Puffy, if you're reading (and I bet you are), pull the goddamn trigger. You have like the prettiest person in the world and she is recording some of the best music in the world at the moment. Why doesn't it make sense to market the hell out of her and release her goddamn sophomore album?! Just do it, Diddy.

Anyways, this is easily one of my favorite songs of the year so far, Clutch-written, Danja-produced, and Cassie-sung, and all three really come thru (there was an earlier version w/o Wayne, and I'm not sure which I like better, actually, but I won't complain). Cassie doesn't have the hugest singing range, but she uses what she has so well, especially to get across the kind of longing this song requires. This is Danja's high-point so far, I think, eclipsing all the stuff he helped Timbo on over the last few years, and even the stuff on Blackout. The drums are kinda tricky, the synths are gorgeous and lush, and while it doesn't fall too far from the template set by the Aaliyah/Timbaland masterpieces of the late 90s/early 00s, it is an effective update.

Anyways, I heart this, I want to purchase the album, make it happen Bad Boy.

No comments: