Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cruisin Southside streets with no heat and no sticker.


103. Common Sense - "Resurrection (album version)" (from the Resurrection album, Relativity, 1994)

As an artist, Common has had pretty much the steepest decline of anyone in my estimation. I'm not sure I heard a lot of Common until he released One Day It'll All Make Sense, but after that I went back and bought the Resurrection tape and listened to it as much as maybe any other album in the 90s and early 00s. And as great as "I Used to Love H.E.R." is, it's probably only my sixth or seven favorite song off of it. "Resurrection" is one of the best opening tracks ever, Common coming rapid fire right off the bat and draping the track with alliteration and consonance. "Conscious rap" was a terrible red herring of a term to begin with, Biggie and Scarface and many others were as thoughtful and self-examining as any Native Tongues, but Common on Resurrection is as good of an example of how good it was in practice before it went wrong with MCs like...Common.

No comments: