Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Julia


I cannot recommend Tilda Swinton enough in this. She acts like she's interpreting Gena Rowlands through the lens of Charles Nelson Reilly and I'm only like a quarter joking about CNR. She's so wonderful as a promiscuous, drunk, annoying mess that I had to think for a bit to realize that this is a fairly new type of character for her and not one she's been playing her whole career. It's 2.5 hours of heavily-mannered self-destruction that could scarcely be more interesting even when it's hard to watch.

[end movie talk, begin award talk]

Barring some majorly impressive performances, I can't imagine this not making MY top 5 for the year, but it doesn't seem to be getting a major amount of award buzz. Too small of a film by too small of a director through too small of a studio, I guess? This is major though, I promise (It's on Netflix Instant).

No comments: