Saturday, December 26, 2009

YMD and Friends Film Bonanza part 10


OK, and after a quick sojourn to Chicago's wonderful Globe Pub for a few wings and a soccer game, we go ahead with the other Liverpool fan in our group, the one and only Devin. Rocky (as we like to call him), works with money, so of course despite often talking to him about his job I am still not altogether sure what he does. I do know that he watches movie though, so let's proceed.


10. The Hangover dir. Todd Phillips (2009)
If nothing else, The Hangover had an impact on me outside of the movie theater by effectively inspiring an impromptu trip to Vegas.

9. Gangs of New York dir. Martin Scorsese (2002)
I took my high school girlfriend to this on our first date. She didn't like it. I really should have taken that as a sign.

8. Gladiator dir. Ridley Scott (2000)
My 15 year old self would invent a time machine to punch me in the face if I left this off the list.

7. Stranger than Fiction dir. Marc Forster (2006)
My gigantic crush on Maggie Gyllenhaal's character in this movie probably moved this up two spots.

6. The Dark Knight dir. Christopher Nolan (2008)
Sadly enough, I didn't see this in theaters. I am still mad at myself.

5. The Hurt Locker dir. Kathryn Bigelow (2009)
 In 2008, I reviewed an investment in this movie and thought that it sounded kind of weak. Meanwhile, I reviewed an investment in Righteous Kill (which would easily make my "worst of" list) and thought that I would want to see it. There is a reason why I'm not the one making the investments.

4. American Psycho dir. Mary Harron (2000)
Leonardo DiCaprio was originally slated to star as Patrick Bateman. How much would have that sucked? And yes, I am fully aware that he stars in one of the films on my list.

3. There Will Be Blood dir. Paul Thomas Anderson (2007)
The salvation scene has been viewed 33,838 times on youtube. I very well may account for a third of those views.

2. Earth dir. Alistair Fothergill and Mark Linfield (2009)
The 11 part TV Series was not a movie. However, an abridged version, narrated by James Earl Jones, was released in theaters in 2009. I heart loopholes.

1. Pan's Labyrinth (El laberinto del fauno) dir. Guillermo del Toro (2006)
Everything that I could possibly ask for from a trip to the movies.

No comments: